Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tomatoes of green and red

I'm finally starting to feel partially human again. I think I'm about 75%-80%..
It's a beautiful day here in Southern Idaho. Perfect crisp fall air, breeze and golden sunshine. Harvest is in full swing on the farm and here at the house as I attempt to salvage what's left of the garden.
This has been the most productive garden I've ever had and I'm rather said to let it go. When I see the lovely weather forecast I hesitate to start plowing it under, but I know Idaho weather and just when I think it's safe, we'll have a freeze and all that work will go to waste.
So I'll be seeing tomatoes in my sleep for a few days.
I took a few minutes out this morning to organize the rather large and ever-growing stack of recipes on my microwave. This is where I stack the recipes I cut off of boxes, out of magazines and off the internet. I came across one my sister had emailed me months and months ago and never tried.
I didn't manage to take any pictures -- I just wasn't thinking about it. However, I can't tell you how wonderful it was! Plus, it was a perfect way use a few of those tomatoes I have coming out of my ears. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

MEDITERRANEAN PASTA with FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES
(makes 6 servings)
2 lbs. medium plum tomatoes (10 - 12) halved lengthwise
1/2 cup olive oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Sicilian Sea Salt
1/4 Coarse Grind Black Pepper
8 oz pasta, such as fettuccine

Place tomato halves, cut-sides up, in a foil-lined 15x10x1 pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray. Mix 1/4 cup oil, garlic and seasonings in a small bowl. Spoon over tomatoes. Drizzle with 2 TBSP  of the remaining oil. Roast in a preheated 400 F over 45 - 60 minutes until tomatoes are soft and browned n top.
Prepare pasta as directed. Drain well. Place 1/2 of the roasted tomatoes and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in large bowl. Coarsely mash tomatoes. Add pasta and remaining tomatoes; toss to mix well. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese and additional crushed red pepper is desired.

I didn't use crushed red pepper because I didn't have any. Fresh herbs add some extra flavor, I think. You can roast in the BBQ, but it can get awfully messy. I used a manchega instead of parmesan -- but it was wonderful -- so wonderful, in fact, I was disappointed when I was full and couldn't eat anymore!
I served it with broiled salmon. I was going to have roasted veggies too -- but it was just too much food!

I did provide some garlic bread to help with the bones in the salmon.

I'll be canning some green tomatoes over the weekend and will post those recipes then.



No comments:

Post a Comment