Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 1

Watched an incredible sunset this evening. The kind that burns itself into your soul.  Deep apricot and hues of red. Slowing sinking in the West, it seemed to be a harbinger of a good year.
The last year was tough on a lot of people. It was just a transitional year for me, not bad or good.
Typically, we host a small but fun New Year's Eve party. This year, after hosting four or five shindigs in the last month on top of dealing with the business of Christmas and all that entails, I didn't have it in me to host anything else.

 I have also opted not to make any resolutions. Well, maybe a few.  I don't want to set myself up for failure, but I do need to continue to make taking care of me more of a priority. I've been working on that steadily for the last few years and each year I get a little better.
I was going to write "now is the time" to get it down, to do it this year.  Every year, I set these grand goals and each year, by February I'm disappointed in myself. I'm always looking for this grand explosion when suddenly, "I get it".  I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It's easy to look for the bright shinning light, but in reality it little victories every day. Each day making a little progress toward that goal.
This year, instead of making broad and generalized resolutions -- I'm just going to focus on setting boundaries and taking care of me. Without me on solid ground, nothing else in my life works.

No comments:

Post a Comment