Monday, August 22, 2011

Have a blueberry, honey..

I found a great deal on a case of blueberries the other day at a farmer's market in Boise. I've been tossing handfuls of the purple treats in about everything. Yummy!


Remember that box of books, "The Complete Book of Small - Batch Preserving" by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard I told you about? Well, they have bunches of recipes for blueberries, so I tried one today. It did not disappoint.
This book is well worth the investment for those of you who like to can. It has easy canning recipes , plus serving tips and meal suggestions. It is available at Amazon, but I'd also recommend checking out the publisher's web site, http://www.fireflybooks.com. I just requested the entire catalog as they have a good number of books I'd like to check out. Your local library, I'm sure, can get it for you as well.
This afternoon I did 6 1/2 pints of "Spiced Blueberry Honey Jam"

SPICED BLUEBERRY HONEY JAM
2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen coarsely chopped blueberries
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup liquid honey
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 TSP Ground nutmeg
1 pounce liquid fruit pectin.

Place blueberries, sugar, honey, lemon juice and nutmeg in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat and boil hard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in pectin. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes as directed. Don't forget to add your altitude adjustment!!



Kids can easily help with this recipe. My 10-year-old daughter chopped the blueberries and then helped me fill the jars. We share a small corner of our farm with a local bee farmer and he provides us with beautiful raw honey -- as in about 15-20 gallons every year! (I love a good barter). ...



This was simple, quick and the jars look gorgeous!

I can't wait to drizzle it over a scone or spread it over fresh baked bread
Guess you know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment