Saturday, September 10, 2011

My own memorial to 9/11

This morning I boiled 3 whole chickens. Chickens that I raised. Chickens butchered nearby. My neighbor is home right now, making fresh noodles for the homemade chicken soup that will use the broth and meat I took to her house earlier today.

In my kitchen I have two lamb roasts marinating in wine. They were raised and butchered in the neighborhood. I’ve been reviewing recipes all day, making plans for the desserts I’ll make in the morning.

Tomorrow morning, bright and early I’ll go to the neighbor’s farm to take part in a long standing agricultural tradition; a threshing party. Back before there were computer aided combines harvesting crops, farmers used horse drawn machines. My neighbor works hard each year to keep this tradition alive – scouring estate sales and farm auctions for horse drawn equipment. She tries very hard to reduce the amount of fossil fuels she uses on her farm and uses horses wherever she can. She’ll be harvesting her barely crop tomorrow with the help of about 15 friends, family and neighbors.

Each year on Sept. 11, I try to find quiet things to do. Activities that keep my family close together and engaged in something that doesn’t require batteries, or electricity or oil. We don’t always get that done, but we make an attempt in honor of the people who are no longer able to spend quiet time with their families – either because they gave their lives or because they’re fighting against terrorism far away.

I’ll post an update and pictures tomorrow, although I’ll be shooting with good old fashioned film so I won’t be able to instantly upload. I hope of this day of remembrance, you’ll able to share time with someone you love in an activity that brings you joy.  I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment