Monday, September 12, 2011

Uncovered wagon.

Richard Barney, my guide for the next 3 days
It turns out my wagon is not covered. It's a modified Dodge pickup.
"It'll be real comfortable," my guide, Richard "Dick" told me. He explained he built this wagon on top of an old 2-wheel drive pickup that was made "back in the 70s and 80s when they were still comfortable to ride in."
Well, I signed up for an adventure.
Turns out after checking out our route, Dick decided the actual covered wagon wasn't stable enough for the trip. This wagon is much safer, he says. His horses are more comfortable on this wagon and then there's the most important reason; this trailer has a hitch and we're in charge of pulling the "hooter" -- also known as the porta-potty.
Fun and function. Perfect.
My son is joining me on the trip. In 4th grade, he's learning Idaho history so I figured this would be a good experience for him. Today we got him outfitted with a new hat and gloves. Dug out some jeans. (My kids wear shorts year round, so jeans are hard to find). I looked at him today and saw the face of a young man instead of my baby boy. He's 9 and just beginning to transition from one stage to another. He looked like my brothers today, which is nice. Sometimes my kids look so much like their dad it's hard to see that I had any involvement in their creation. He's very excited. We loaded up a bag of books. I keep trying to tell him that it's going to long, hot, boring and slow. I'm afraid he'll be bored quickly and whine the rest of  the trip. I told him that if he started, he'd have to finish. We'll see how this goes -- but I think he'll be fine. I don't call him Adventure Man for nothing.
I've packed enough to last a week. It's a bit ridiculous because I'll never be more than 10 miles from home. My husband can bring me anything I need. I'm hoping to be self sufficient though. It would be nice not to have to call home.
I'll be posting here, on Facebook and Twitter as much as possible and then writing more extensively when I get back. Stay tuned -- it's not every day you can Twitter from a wagon train...

No comments:

Post a Comment